Friday, October 5, 2012

My favourite comping tips

When I started comping, I was given heaps of tips and hints from fellow compers.

Some were useful, some not so useful.


So what are my favourite tips for beginners?

1. Open a separate email account.
This is the one you'll use just for comping.  It only takes a couple of minutes to open up a hotmail or gmail account, but it's definitely worth it to avoid getting inundated with newsletter and spam in your regular email inbox.


2. Always enter 25 words or less competitions, even if you don't have a 'good' answer
I usually try and think of a funny or witty answer, but if you're stuck you can try rhyming, giving an honest answer...or just writing the first thing that comes into your head.

It's always worth putting something down, because rumour has it these competitions are sometimes randomly drawn (sometimes its even specified in the terms and conditions).



3. Use pictures in email entry competitions
I've won several competitions by adding a picture to my answer, or by using an image or photo as my answer.  I usually perform a google image search and then just copy and paste the image into the email.


For example:
Q. Tell us in 25 words or less how you’ll be decorating your Christmas table...



A. With one of these:
Image source



4. Sometimes it's good to enter late...but not too late!
There's nothing worse than preparing the perfect answer, trying to enter...and then finding out the promoter has closed the competition early.  I've had success entering in the week before closing date, but I usually try not to enter right on closing day (especially as some competitions close early on the day, eg. 09.00am)



5. Join a comping club!
There's heaps out there.  Some are free, others require you to purchase a subscription.
It's a great way to meet fellow compers, get extra tips and advice and of course find competitions to enter.

Some of the Australian online comping clubs include:





No comments :

Post a Comment